Sunday 6 January 2013

Brewdog Cocoa Psycho to be brewed throughout 2013

The three prototype beers
So, the results are in from the Brewdog prototype challenge and the winner is Cocoa Psycho, their sublime 10% ABV imperial Russian stout that was my favourite of the three brews.

Call it a promotional stunt if you like, but personally I did like being able to get my box of nine bottles of the prototype beers and then vote for my favourite. 

Of the three, Cocoa Psycho was by far and away my favourite, followed by Jack Hammer IPA, with the slightly disappointing pilsner Nuns with Guns languishing in third. 

To be honest, even Nuns with Guns was drinkable but just not up to the standards of many of their other brews. As I've stated before, I've not had a Brewdog beer that I have actively disliked. Of course some have been more my cup of tea or have particularly caught my attention, but overall, I do think they are are pretty consistent. 

I'm happy that Cocoa Psycho will be brewed throughout the year, as it is complex, powerful and brilliantly balanced beer. It's all boozy dark chocolate and coffee. Part of me would love to be able to keep a bottle of it open under my desk at work and just take the odd swig instead of consuming caffeine. Why have an espresso when you can have this?!

The work in progress logo for Cocoa Psycho
Say what you like about Brewdog's marketing techniques, the thing is that they brew some fantastic beers. Cocoa Psycho is an excellent addition to their core range and definitely a beer that I will be ordering from their site and drinking at their bars during the year!

Over the recent months, I have become increasingly fond of stouts and porters. I've enjoyed Harviestoun's Old Engine Oil, the Kernel's Export Stout and many others. I can see Cocoa Psycho becoming a dark beer that I return to time and again this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment